Mental health has been in the spotlight over the last 12 months with the COVID pandemic and isolation taking its toll on many.
New figures by the Australian Health and Welfare, have revealed that Bacchus Marsh and Melton are equal 5th highest areas for suicide rates.
Both Melton and Bacchus Marsh recorded 87 self inflicted deaths between 2015-2019.
The worst affected areas were Frankston (120), The Peninsula (110), Wyndham (106), Boroondara (89).
The areas with the least recorded were Keilor (20), Sunbury (27) and Essendon (32).
Ballarat recorded 79 people who took their own lives. That is a rate of 15.1 per 100,000 people.
– 75% of those who take their own life are male.
– Over 65,000 Australians make an attempt to end their life each year.
– Suicide is the leading cause of death for Australians between the ages of 15 and 44.
– People in rural communities are twice as likely to die by suicide.
– Same-gender attracted Australians are 14 times more likely to attempt suicide.
If you or anyone you know needs help, it’s important to seek help.
Lifeline Australia – 13 11 14 available 24/7
Beyond Blue – 1300 224 636 24/7
SuicideLine – 1300 651 251
Alcohol and Drug Information Service 1800 177 833
Counselling online (drug and alcohol) 1800 888 236
** Tips: email@example.com